Thursday, February 7, 2013

Treasure Chest Thursday: Nolan Lane's WWII Photo Album

After my Uncle Nolan died in 1983, my mom, Betty, inherited a few of her big brother's personal items.  These items were then passed to me when my mom died in 1992.  Among these items is another one of my family treasures--Uncle Nolan's WWII photo album.


Front cover of Nolan Lane's WWII photo album

Inside WWII photo album

Both historical and very personal at the same time, this album shows me a part of my uncle's life that he rarely discussed.  As the album progresses you see the young men in the photos go from looking healthy, excited, and proud in their crisp, clean white sailor suits to appearing tense, haggard, older.  And WWII, an event I only studied about in school, becomes real.  


Nolan Lane (center) and buddies during WWII


WWII, c. 1944


Nolan Lane (right) and Frank Gores during WWII
c. 1944

My post this coming Monday will be about something else I found in this photo album. Please visit the blog then and help me solve a WWII mystery. 


2 comments:

  1. This is wonderful! I love military history and to see the "fun" side of things is awesome. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sailors look so carefree and young in some of these early photos. To think of what they would face later--wow. I love the above photo of my uncle with his four buddies. His smile in that photo is one that I didn't see often in later years. Thank you for reading, Heather!

      Delete